Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions?

Instead of New Year's Resolutions, I focused on was the idea of "one little word."
You choose one word and make defining that an ongoing goal all year long.
Last year my word was "clean."
I was tired of the house clutter, tired of feeling like crap, tired of the place I was in spiritually because my focus wasn't always where it should be.
 I wanted to feel clean in every way, physically, spiritually, mentally--- all of it.

I look back now and can see I did pretty darned well with that one little word.
We donated truckloads of stuff to charity and cleaned out a lot of the space here. From may until Christmas break I was totally caught up on laundry- every single day.

(Cleaner Clothes)
The year supply got organized and my scrapbooking room is a space I can use now.

(Cleaner Basement)
I lost about 20 pounds, I still have more to lose, but 20 pounds is 20 pounds.
Matt and I got sealed in the temple last year- that made a tremendous change in our lives. 
I didn't think it would be such a big change, but I have felt the blessings from that every day. The stress of blending this family doesn't devastate me anymore and turn me into pulp. It's still hard, but I handle things much better. I have a good marriage and relationship - wise, I want for nothing.

(Cleaner Hands,)
I ended some relationships that were horrible for my soul and interestingly enough- I felt cleaner and better with those people out of my life. I'm not going back to that stupid drama.

I started working on family history to replace TV at night and clean my evening routine up.
When I cleaned out all of that spiritual, emotional and physical junk, it opened up space for things that brought me joy. More joy than I knew existed. The person I am has changed because of the events of last year and the focus on that one little word.
The dust bunnies still have a thriving population and there are still things in my fridge that are radioactive. I still say bad words and tell the ladies at knit night dirty jokes to make them giggle. I'm still me, but I do feel my life is fundamentally cleaner.
One little word was a good way to go for me.
Ali Edwards is doing a class this year at Big Picture Scrapbooking for One Little Word.


I'm not taking the class, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

So what's my One Little Word for 2011?
Stay tuned tomorrow and I'll tell you.
And maybe I'll add a dirty joke or two........

1 comment:

Most Happy Girl said...

I love the one word concept. I'll talk to Mr. Perfect and see if we can come up with a word each or one word for both of us.

Happy New Year, lady. You are the best!